Sunday, December 12, 2010

Holiday Gifts?

If I had to recommend one thing to gift this holiday season, I would probably have to go with rechargeable batteries and a charger. 

Why?  Keeping all of those dead batteries out of the landfill!  I look around at all of the battery powered gadgets and toys in my house, and it's staggering how many AA and AAA batteries we go through.  Simply switching to Lithium Ion rechargeables will keep many dozens of batteries out of landfills each year from my house alone.  And the trend is to MORE batteries, not less. 

Another benefit is that new rechargeables frequently have a higher energy density than standard alkalines, letting you go longer between battery swaps.  For example, my old Sony P&S camera does much better on even NiCad rechargeables than on alkalines. 

Rechargeable batteries also save money.  A single set of rechargeable batteries will replace many sets of alkalines.  Rechargebles have a little higher initial outlay, but over their life will more than pay for themselves.

A source of  energy that is greener and more economical?  What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment